"Tea is hot and getting hotter. From iced to spiced, from austere black tea to sweetened and milky chai, from a flowery pick-me-up to a healing herbal, no other beverage has such a place in the heart of every civilization. No wonder it is the most popular beverage in the world, next to water."
- Sara Perry, The New Tea Book

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Today's Tea

Happy Tuesday Tea Drinkers!

As per a wonderful suggestion from my soon to be sister-in-law, I'm going to start posting what teas I personally enjoy drinking and how I use herbal and natural remedies at home.

For example, every morning, I start my day with hot lemon water with powdered ginger, which I use to warm my body, promote detoxification and rev up my digestive system for the day. After that, I drink a variety of herbs and blends depending on what health needs, energy flux or taste cravings I experience.

For instance, this morning, I chose looseleaf yerba maté with a bombilla, which is a filtered straw usually made of metal, but also available in plastic and bamboo. This gives me a high quality dose of vitamins and minerals early in the day, as well as a pleasant stimulating boost in energy.

Yerba Maté's pretty strong in flavor and while I personally appreciate the more vegetative, raw flavors of herbs, many agree adding lemon, honey or cane sugar, definitely enhances plain maté. As a side note, yerba maté is totally resteepable, we're talking 5-15 times. So when I prepare maté, I start with first a cold water shock to the herb, which is quite refreshing to drink, but also helps retrieve nutrients and prolong steepability. After that, just refill as often as needed with moderately heated fresh, filtered water.

I followed my morning tea with a lemon juice facial astringent, basically I rubbed a lemon on my face; and a wildflower honey mask which I left on for about 15 minutes. This combination of fruit enzymes and sugars help promote exfoliation and reparation of skin cells.

My next tea for the day is going to be a chilled Fruitful Prosperity, which is my own personal blend that I'm hoping to have for sale this year, comprised of organic fruit and immune boosting roots and berries. Kinda tastes like tea fruit punch.

After that, I may move on to some mint or cinnamon or perhaps chamomile depending on how my day goes!

Oh and for you braver souls out there, I guess I will also inform you that I do at-home enemas (intestinal flushes) about once a month, using either hot organic coffee, neem leaf and fenugreek powder as an anti-macrobial detox or a cold honey blend for rejuvenation.

That's all for now. Please feel free to add any comments or suggestions!

Be well my friends,
Jaime

No comments: